Women know women. Women know Men. Women just can't make good decisions when it is happening to them...

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Flashback

Twenty-five years ago if you weren't face to face with someone, you ultimately had two options. A phone call or a letter. This phone call would NEVER be a drunk dial. 

Scenario 1: A drunk dial in 1980. You are 21 years old and out with your girlfriends:

"I'm going to call Joey" you say as you pull 20 cents out of your pink see-thru purse, because that's what it cost to make a pay-phone call (yes it did, I googled). So you tipsily stumble out of the bar, down the street to the corner pay phone. You proceed to dial Joey's house phone which you have memorized. It's 1am and unfortunately there is no answer from the residential side of the telephone wire. 

"Hi! This message is for joeyyy. It's me! Jackie! I just... pause... I just... pause... I just wanted to tell you that I really miss you. And I wish you were hanging out with me right now. That. Would be the best. Anyways.. I really hope I get to see you soon..shit! (you drop the phone) sorry!... I love you. Hi Mrs. Johnstone!"

So, I'd probably say Drunk Dials were out of the question. Not even sure "drunk dial" was a term. 

Aside from being drunk, imagine you get into an argument.

1980: You call your boyfriend. No answer. You hang up. Not much you can do until he calls you back. You call Cindy and Becky and go out for diet cokes and fries.

2011: You call your boyfriends cellphone. You leave a voicemail. Not only do you leave a voicemail but you mention how you know he hit the "ignore" button because it only rang 1.5 times. THEN you text him. Three times. Because thats how many words it takes to make your point. Fifteen minutes later, after you've cooled off you write him an apologetic email saying that you're sorry and that you over reacted. Five minutes later you go on facebook and see that he updated his status 10 minutes ago saying "heading to B dubs to watch the game." I'm pretty sure reading this "update" induces a relapse of the above sequence.

Yes, you are angry. But take a lesson from your 1980's self. Nothing gets solved by being crazy. In fact, you are only doing damage. So take a few hours and disconnect. In the end, that is what he is doing anyways. 

With texting and emails and IMs we don't allow ourselves to think. We just do. We say our impulsive feelings immediately. Since I am a text addict, I won't preach to the choir... I'd just say if you are angry, drunk, sad or horny don't text. Write a letter.

1 comment: